- CATEGORY: LANGUAGE LEARNING
- Filipino Language
- Tagalog for Beginners: An Introduction to Filipino, the National Language of the Philippines [With MP3]
Tagalog for Beginners: An Introduction to Filipino, the National Language of the Philippines [With MP3]
Author: Joi Barrios
Publisher: Tuttle Publishing, 2011
- Tagalog for Beginners is a straightforward and user-friendly guide to the Tagalog language.It is the book to help you learn Tagalog (Filipino) on your own, quickly and accurately--whether you're traveling to the Philippines for a vacation or a business trip, or you have ties to the sizeable Tagalog-speaking community in the U.S., or you're merely a language lover. From the fascinating history of Philippines' language to how you speak it, join skilled teacher Barrios on a guided introduction--with a practical focus. After journeying through the carefully-paced explanations, conversations, cultural info, and activities in Tagalog for Beginners, learners will be able to use Tagalog (Filipino) in a wide range of everyday situations. From shopping for food to asking directions, from telling time to expressing how you feel, this book gives you the communication skills you need. The MP3 audio-CD helps reinforce pronunciation and improve listening comprehension. Helpful suggestions guide heritage learners (those of Filipino descent but born outside the Philippines) on how to use the book most effectively for their needs. Key features include: An accompanying MP3 Audio CD.
- Realistic dialogues to bring the language to life.
- Activities and exercises to help you read, write, speak and understand.
- Notes on the Tagalog language and history.
- A specific section guides native (heritage) learners and instructors on how to use the book most effectively for their needs.
About the Author
Joi Barrios holds a Ph.D. in Filipino Literature from the University of the Philippines. She serves as a Lecturer teaching Filipino and Philippine Literature at the University of California, Berkeley while on leave as an Associate Professor from the University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD). Barrios has won fourteen national literary awards and, for her contributions to literature, was among the 100 women chosen as Weavers of History for the Philippine Centennial Celebration. In 2004, she also received the TOWNS (Ten Outstanding Women in the Nation's Service) Award.
From the fascinating history of Philippines' language to how you speak it, join skilled teacher Joi Barrios on a guided introduction - with a practical focus. From shopping for food to asking directions, from telling time to expressing how you feel, this book gives you the communication skills you need.